Choosing how to pay for your care or the care of a loved one is a difficult decision; you want to do what’s best, but we do live in the real world and appreciate that price is important.

A common assumption people often make, is that receiving an individualised care at home service is beyond their financial means; however, as more information about financing care becomes available, care at home is becoming an increasingly popular option.

At Handle With Care (Black Country) Limited we don’t expect people who use our services to have to compromise on anything – we offer the highest quality of care at a price which represents excellent value for money.

Funding for care can be very confusing, however, by carrying out a little research the options become clearer and easier to understand.

For accurate costs we suggest that we have a quick chat to understand your needs in more detail. We are here 7 days a week.  Call us now on 01902 546560 or email us directly.


Public Funding

You may be eligible to receive help with funding your care from the Government. You have the right to request a free care assessment from your local council; this can include a community care assessment and a means-tested financial assessment to see if you are eligible to receive support with the cost of your care.


Benefit Entitlement

When considering your best options for funding care, the first stage is to ensure that any state benefit entitlements are fully explored.

A summary of the main benefits is listed below – but it is important to stress that depending on an individual’s circumstances and needs, there may be other benefits to which you, or your loved one, may be entitled.

For further information on all benefits, you can visit the Department for Work and Pensions web site


Pensions Credit:

Pension Credits provide a guaranteed minimum level of income by topping up your weekly pension if it is below the threshold (figures given on Department for Work and Pensions website).

These amounts may increase further depending on individual circumstances.


Savings Credit:

Those aged 65 or over may also qualify for Savings Credit; you may receive this on its own or along with the Guarantee Credit.

You may be entitled to savings credit if you or your partner is aged 65 or over and have made some provision for your retirement. You could also potentially get Savings Credit if the money you have coming in is up to a certain amount (figures given on Department for Work and Pensions website).


Attendance Allowance:

  • A tax-free benefit payable to those aged 65 or over who need help with personal care due to physical or mental disability.

Usually to qualify you must be aged 65 or over and at least one of the following must apply :

  • You have a physical disability (including sensory disability, such as blindness), a mental disability (including learning difficulties), or both.
  • Your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself or someone to supervise you, for your own or someone else’s safety.
  • Attendance Allowance is paid at a higher or lower rate depending on how your disability affects you, i.e. based on your levels of care needed


Disability Living Allowance:

  • A tax-free benefit which is for disabled children and adults who are aged under 65. Importantly it is not payable as a result of disability but rather the needs arising from it. For example, you may need someone to look after you.

Usually to qualify you must be aged 65 or over and at least one of the following must apply :

  • You have a physical disability (including sensory disability, such as blindness), a mental disability (including learning difficulties), or both
  • Your disability is severe enough for you to need help caring for yourself or someone to supervise you, for your own or someone else’s safety, or you have walking difficulties, or both.


Constant Attendance Allowance:

  • If you claim Industrial Injuries Disablement Benefit or War Disablement Pension, and you need daily care and attention as a result of a disability, you can claim Constant Attendance Allowance.

In addition to the above, in order to claim you must:

  • Need daily care and attention (for example, home nursing or home meals)
  • Be classified as 100% disabled (according to a medical examination)


Carers Allowance:

  • Carer’s Allowance is a benefit to help people who care for a disabled person. You don’t have to be related to, or live with, the person you care for.

You may be able to get Carer’s Allowance if you:

  • Are aged 16 or over
  • Spend at least 35 hours a week caring for a person


Council Tax Benefit:

If you qualify for the Guarantee Credit element of Pension Credit then you would normally qualify to have your council tax paid in full. If you are not receiving the Guarantee Credit element and have savings in excess of £16,000 then you will not be eligible for Council Tax Benefit.

The assessment to establish whether you qualify for support with your Council Tax if your savings are below £16,000 is based on your level of income and the amount of Council Tax that you pay


Direct Payments

If you have been assessed as needing care services, you should be offered direct payments as an option. All direct payments will be made by your local council directly, to you, so that you are able to organise and pay for your care service. These payments are designed to support you to remain living at home, encourage independence and assist your wellbeing.

In addition, to giving you the option of receiving a direct payment, your local council will usually offer their own support services, or be able to refer you to an appropriate organisation that can help you set up your care. You can also enlist the help of a responsible individual of your choosing, which may be a close friend or relative, to help you manage the direct payment scheme.

The Government is looking to increase the number of people who receive direct payments, allowing individuals to have more choice and control over when and how they access care services. If you are considered eligible for support with funding, your local council must give you the option to consider direct payments, instead of providing services to meet your needs.

Direct payments will enable you to have greater input into deciding what care you need. You will also have greater flexibility to decide who you want to provide your care, the times when services are delivered ensuring that the arrangements are convenient to your lifestyle. You can also decide whether you want to employ an agency to deliver your care or if you prefer your own staff.

To find out if you are eligible for direct payments, your first point of contact should be your local council.

Individuals who are usually eligible for direct payments include:

  • Older and disabled people aged 16 and over, assessed as needing care.
  • A person with parental responsibility for a child assessed as needing care.
  • Carers aged 16 and over.


Independent Living Fund

The Independent Living Fund is funded by Central Government and supports people with disabilities to live independently in their own homes, rather than in residential care. The Government website will give further details of what the funds can be used to pay for.

Payments are made to people with disabilities so they can afford the employment costs, or associated employment costs, of a personal assistant or care agency to provide the support they need to remain living at home.


Please Note:

The information provided relating to benefits is based upon our understanding of current qualification criteria based upon information provided either by or

To assess your individual circumstances you should seek appropriate advice and should not act on the information contained here as all circumstances are different.